Private Customized Tour
Tour #8: Synagogues and Sites Renewed
With your knowledgeable guide, you will enter a restored tenement–style shul, and enjoy a stroll down a block teeming with history. Marvel at the Lower East Side’s rich history while appreciating the exciting changes taking place today.
- Absorb the surroundings at Kehila Kedosha Janina, the only Romaniote (ancient Greek tradition) synagogue in the Western Hemisphere. The seats in this remarkable sacred site run parallel to the bima, just as they do in the Janina Synagogue in Greece.
- See the exterior of Beth Hemedrash Hagadol, renowned for its Neogothic architecture and Russian Jewish history.
- Visit a shteibl (one room house of prayer). Beth Hachasidim De Polen is included on this tour.
- Stroll down historic East Broadway. Hear the remarkable stories about the organizations that left their impact on the community. Sites include The Educational Alliance, Henry Street Settlement, The Forward Building, Seward Park, and others.
- Enjoy the luxurious interior of the Harry De Jur Playhouse of the Henry Street Settlement. Originally called the Grand Street Playhouse, then the Neighborhood Playhouse, it was an experimental -- even notorious -- arts theater that was also a community movie house.
"Thank you so much for the excellent tour of the Jewish past and present on the Lower East Side ... Our group had a wonderful day." -- C.H.
Back To Tour Listing